Where can I live with a UK passport after Brexit?


In a post-Brexit world, you can still travel with a UK passport. You can even live and work abroad. However, the rules have changed. Many countries, including the UK, have strict residence or work visa requirements.

If you’re still dreaming of living abroad after Brexit, we’ll take a look at the rules, where you can easily live, and what to think about.

Often times, living is not the problem. If you stay somewhere where you are not allowed to work, study, or have Social Security and health care, life might get tough over time. Of course, if you’re a digital nomad or a remote worker who can work online, that’s less of a problem.

Do you need a visa to travel after Brexit?

Most countries will allow you to visit, live, study or work there as long as you have the right visa. A visa gives a foreigner official permission to enter and stay in the country, subject to visa requirements. If you want to live, work or study there, you need a specific visa that will allow it. If you try to work on a tourist or student visa, you could be fined, jailed, or deported.

Before Brexit, UK passport holders did not need a visa to live, work or study in Europe. Now you can spend up to 90 days every 180 days in Europe, but you need a visa to live, work, study or volunteer.

Where to live without a visa after Brexit?

Before Brexit, British citizens could live and work anywhere in the European Union. After Brexit, this is no longer the case. But there are still a few places where you can live and work freely.

The common travel area

The Common Travel Zone was introduced in the 1920s. It is an agreement between the United Kingdom, Jersey, Guernsey, the Isle of Man and Ireland that allows British and Irish citizens to live and travel freely. There are a few additional rules for Jersey and Guernsey, but most people with UK passports can live, work, study, vote, and access healthcare and social security anywhere in the Common Travel Zone without a visa. .

Isle of Man and Alderney

The Isle of Man and Alderney are part of the United Kingdom. You can live and study there, but you need a work permit if you want to work.


If you have a valid UK passport, you do not need a visa to live or work in Gibraltar.


If you have at least six months left on your UK passport, you can stay in Belize visa-free. You will need to pay a monthly fee for your first year. However, after that, you can apply for residency.

Where to live six months after Brexit?

There are several countries where you can live for six months without a visa, although a few have other requirements such as being able to support yourself financially while you are there. Six months are enough to decide if you want to go through the residency application process. Remember: you are not allowed to work there without a work visa! The list includes:

  • Armenia
  • Canada (ETA)
  • Dominica
  • Georgia (one year)
  • Hong Kong
  • India (ETA / eVisa)
  • Mexico
  • Montserrat
  • New Zealand (ETA)
  • Panama
  • Saint Helena (entry permit on arrival)

Countries marked “ETA” require an electronic travel authorization, which you can obtain by filling out an online form or, in some cases, paying a fee.

If you want to work abroad rather than just live, consider Anguilla, Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Montserrat, Turks and Caicos. UK passport holders can both live and work in these countries for six months.

What about digital nomads?

A growing number of countries are offering special six-month or one-year visas for digital nomads. They are easier to obtain than full work visas, and they allow you to live and work there remotely. Many require a minimum income; However, if you meet the requirements and enjoy working in exotic locations, it might work.

Traveling Lifestyle maintains a list of countries offering digital nomadic visas. If this lifestyle interests you, it is worth considering.

Do not forget…

Brexit isn’t the only travel restriction right now. Many countries currently have travel restrictions linked to Covid, and things may change in the short term. Even if you are technically cleared to enter a country, that doesn’t mean it’s safe.

Be sure to check the latest travel restrictions and tips before you book flights. It’s a good idea to book your flights with a credit card – this gives you better protection. And before you leave, take out travel or health insurance.

Some offers on MyWalletHero come from our partners – this is how we make money and make this site work. But does this have an impact on our grades? No. Our commitment is for you. If a product isn’t good, our rating will reflect that, or we won’t list it at all. Additionally, while we aim to showcase the best products available, we do not review every product on the market. Find out more here. The above statements are owned by The Motley Fool only and have not been provided or endorsed by any bank advertisers. John Mackey, CEO of Whole Foods Market, an Amazon subsidiary, is a member of the board of directors of The Motley Fool. The Motley Fool UK recommended Barclays, Hargreaves Lansdown, HSBC Holdings, Lloyds Banking Group, Mastercard and Tesco.


About Andrew Miller

Check Also

Digital Nomad Visas Offering Jobs Across Borders

Digital nomad visas make it possible to reside abroad and work for employers around the …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.