IT’S NOT quite the same as a vacation, but these decorating destinations will give you a distant fix, says Sam Wylie-Harris.
Do you dream of a summer vacation but you can’t get away yet? If you love the fusion of styles and think nothing looks more appealing than a sunny getaway right now, conjuring up that distant feeling might be easier than you think.
Okay, wheelchair travel isn’t as exciting as the real thing – but bringing a touch of overall style to your home could freshen things up (and make that sunny break more handy).
Here’s what’s on our wish-to-travel wishlist …
1. Nomadic artisan throw, Â£ 49.99; Tufted square cushion, from Â£ 26.79; Rectangular tufted cushion, from Â£ 32.99; Zebra Scrapbook Cushion, Â£ 34.59; Velvet Cushion – Paprika, Â£ 29.99, Walton & Co
With a well-edited mix of embellished textiles and soft throws in earthy colourways, this on-the-go collection is tailor-made to dress up your daybed and watch the sun go down.
2. Oliver Bonas Sol ceramic coffee maker, Â£ 42.50; assorted espresso cups and saucers, Â£ 45 for set of 4, and teacups and saucers, Â£ 55 for set of 4, Oliver Bonas
Gaze at palm trees and blue skies is one of the joys of breakfast in sunnier climates. The next best thing? Look no further than this Sol Ceramic coffee maker and matching cups; sure to leave you feeling full of beans.
Undated photo of the peacock print cushion, next to it. See PA INTERIORS Global Functionality. Photo credit should read: PA Photo / Next. DISCLAIMER: This image is to be used only to accompany PA Feature INTERIORS Global.
3. Perfect Parrot Deco, Â£ 30, Joe Browns
If you share the love of parrots and rainforests, this antique-looking parrot from the Sunkissed Tropics range by Joe Brown will sit beautifully next to your greenery.
4. Peacock print cushion, Â£ 14, next
We may not be able to see these spectacular creatures in their homelands at the moment, but we can still pluck our nest with their shiny plumage.
5. Large Bolga Basket – Imani – Leather handles, Â£ 65, Lola and Mawu
We can’t wait to get our hands on one of these colorful, fair trade baskets. Handcrafted by weavers in Ghana, they are ethical and indispensable.
6. Solitude 4-seater sofa in mustard, Â£ 649; Large Round Ashwicke Velvet Footstool in Pink, Â£ 219 (other items as part of the bedroom set), DFS
Undated photo of the Cobra brass snake side table, lemon yellow vase, Audenza. See PA INTERIORS Global Functionality. Photo credit should read: PA Photo / Audenza. DISCLAIMER: This image is to be used only to accompany PA Feature INTERIORS Global.
A comfortable sofa that combines a traditional design with a warm and soft turmeric or mustard fabric and plenty of cushions denotes a Moroccan-inspired look. Especially with carved coffee tables, a plush ottoman, terracotta and wicker side chairs for a laid back vibe.
7. Bloomingville pendant lamp in natural rattan, Â£ 209, Viva Lagoon
Oversized rattan pendants are all the rage and for natural lighting this one is inspired by the shape of a Greek pot. Pair it with rustic woven baskets or hang straw sun hats on the wall behind the lamp to create happy memories of island life.
8. Oriental wallpaper with Chinese Chinese motif, from Â£ 35 per square meter, Wallsource
Charming and timeless, Chinoiserie wallpaper has captivated our imaginations for centuries. This sleek design, with its wealth of exotic birds and flowers, will make a striking feature wall – and look dreamy with virtually anything you place against it.
9. Emma Shipley Lynx pink round tray, Â£ 34.50, Daisy Park
Watching a winged lynx looming against a tropical backdrop may be pure fantasy, but you can still pretend by offering a platter of sunsets.
10. Cobra Snake brass side table, Â£ 315; Stunning lemon yellow vase, Â£ 268, Audenza
A true snake charmer, this eye-catching cobra side table with its lightly distressed brass finish is a work of art – and the giant lemon vase is spellbinding, too.
Undated document Photo by Zebra Doorstop, Next. See PA INTERIORS Global Functionality. Photo credit should read: PA Photo / Next. DISCLAIMER: This image is to be used only to accompany PA Feature INTERIORS Global.
11. Zebra Doorstop, Â£ 16, next
Even the grasslands we call home can feel arid when there is a heat wave. If you open the doors to let air in, this cute little guy will come in handy.
12. Off-white parasol with black tassels (available end of June), Â£ 275; Large Classic Gold Effect Face Planter, Â£ 95; Large Rustic Stone Effect Lion Head Planter, Â£ 95 (other selected items), Rockett St George
(Rockett St George / PA) Create an outdoor oasis to relax? This trendy parasol with gold details and tasseled trims marries bohemian style with a bit of glitter. Definitely a shadow over an ordinary parasol.